iPhone Drawing Winner:
Pedro Cruz, Air Liquide
The Flow Control Innovation Awards program is an annual competition designed to recognize the year’s most compelling advances in fluid handling technology. Finalists for the 2009 Flow Control Innovation Awards were announced in the June issue of Flow Control magazine, at which time this year’s nominees were offered up for open voting. All told, the 2009 Flow Control Innovation Awards program generated 1,300 votes, the most in the 12-year history of the Flow Control Innovation Awards program. The following technologies include the top 10 vote recipients in this year’s competition, as well as two technologies voted in by Flow Control staff. Here we provide a brief overview of each of the winning technologies, with select voter comments. We will feature application stories/case studies on each of the winning technologies in the October issue. If you have questions about any of the technologies presented below or the Flow Control Innovation Awards program in general, please contact Matt Migliore at firstname.lastname@example.org.
NuFlo Scanner 2000-02 microEFM
By Cameron, Measurement Systems Division
Cameron’s Scanner 2000 microEFM provides an economical chart recorder replacement, a flow computer and a stand-alone totalizer in a single device. A member of Cameron’s NuFlo and Barton scanner family of flow computers, the Scanner 2000 was developed on a unique hardware platform that requires very little power and is supplemented by a user interface/configuration software program, ModWorX, which comes free with the unit.
Outstanding features of the Scanner 2000 are the unit’s versatility and adaptability. These features support plans, no matter how big or small, to transition into electronic flow measurement, automate flow control and integrate into existing SCADA systems.
In 2008 Cameron invested heavily in R&D and commercial resources to design and launch the expanded Scanner 2000 model (Mar. 2008), introduce a weatherproof enclosure option (Mar. 2009), and achieve Measurement Canada approval (Feb 2009).
what the voters said:
• The Scanner was used in test as a replacement for several of our aging recorders on cyclic steam warming and injection wells. It improved our accuracy, revealing several major flaws in our totalized measurement, allowing us to reconfigure our injection parameters in a more economical and productive way.
• I”ve seen them in action and the device”s broad capability along with ease of use and integral battery capability earns my vote.
• The NuFlo Scanner 2000 is affordable, easy to operate and can be easily optimized and integrated into most systems. It is extremely reliable over a long course of time.
• Miniature in size, yet as robust as a full-blown flow computer. Battery powered and with communications capability and expansion capability.
• The NuFlo Scanner 2000 microEFM is innovative because it is versatile, durable and user-friendly.
• The NuFlo scanner is amazing. It stood alone among the competition in providing accuracy, flexibility and reliability in a small platform with low power and long battery life.
• Software is easy to set up the unit, and downloads are very fast – three minutes tops.
• Straightforward, clean design makes it a stand-out for the average user.
• Its compact design makes it easy to handle and install in virtually any confined application, yet it is robust in its processing power.
Fisher Control-Disk Valve
By Emerson Process Management, Fisher Controls
Emerson Process Management’s Fisher Control-Disk rotary valve offers excellent throttling performance. An equal percentage flow characteristic provides an improved throttling range comparable to that of a segmented ball valve. This improved capability allows users to control closer to the target setpoint, regardless of process disturbances, which results in a reduction in process variability.
The valve body meets PN 10 through PN 40, CL150, and CL300 ratings. Face-to-face and raised-face dimensions meet EN 593, API 609, and MSS-SP68 standards. Line centering clips provide for versatility to mount and align the same wafer-style valve body in different piping configurations (ASME and EN ratings).
The Control-Disk rotary valve features an eccentrically mounted disk with either soft or metal seal, providing capability for enhanced shutoff. The interchangeable sealing technology allows for the same valve body to accept both soft and metal seals. The actuator sizing and selection process is improved by simply reading a table for information.
what the voters said:
• The new valve from Fisher looks like a butterfly valve but can control like a “V” ball valve or globe valve.
• The ability to change from soft seals to metal seals in a high-performance butterfly valve that is already in the field is truly innovative.
• This gives much more control than a standard butterfly or ball valve. Rangeability is the key to a good control valve.
• The Fisher control disk has greatly widened the rangeabllity of the high performance butterfly valve.
• Amazing control range for a butterfly valve.
• It”s a great innovation because you”ll have an excellent throttling performance with an equal percentage flow characteristic like a segmented ball valve but with a low cost comparable to that of a segmented ball valve.
• The Control Disk valve provides a cost-effective solution for many control issues for existing butterfly valves without having to modify pipe.
• Developing rotary valves for controlling is an innovation, I believe.
2-Wire Coriolis Flow & Density Meter
By Emerson Process Management, Micro Motion Division
Emerson Process Management’s Micro Motion 2-Wire Coriolis flowmeters are loop-powered Coriolis measurement devices that deliver the same high accuracy and repeatable measurement performance as equivalent four-wire Micro Motion Coriolis meters. With compact, integral transmitter housing, Micro Motion two-Wire Coriolis meters require no separate power cabling and deliver multi-variable measurement with a single mA output and HART compatibility for accessing other output variables and diagnostic information.
Historically, Coriolis meters have always required a minimum of four wires – two used for power connection and two for signal transmission. Because of these power requirements, loop-powered Coriolis meters have not been previously thought possible as power is required for the constant vibration of tubes and significant signal processing, in addition to the output of process variables to the control system.
Emerson’s Micro Motion 2-Wire Coriolis meters were developed based on considerable research and sophisticated optimization of the Coriolis sensor and electronics efficiency that allows meter operation with as little as 0.8W of power while delivering excellent measurement performance.
what the voters said:
• Loop power will make everything easier.
• Kudos to Emerson, Micro Motion for developing a two-wire mass flowmeter. Being used to a four-wire system, I could not imagine this happening.
• Unique capability for a two-wire meter.
Proline Promass I Coriolis Flowmeter
Endress+Hauser’s second-generation of the Promass I Coriolis flowmeter, the straight single-tube design of the Promass 80/83I, provides the expected Coriolis flowmeter outputs of mass flow, density and temperature, as well as in-line viscosity measurement as an optional output. The advantage of measuring viscosity directly in the process is that it is a true reflection of the process conditions and avoids the delay of taking samples to the lab.
The Promass I second-generation also offers improved specifications and better performance. The meter is manufactured to comply with the highest hygienic standards of 3A, EHEDG and FDA, making it a good fit for food and beverage applications. The integrated software package allows users to derive measurements of Brix, fat content, suspended solids, Baume and percentage of alcohol.
The meter’s TMB (Torsion Mode Balance) counterbalance system has improved the specifications for both mass flow and zero-point stability. It is a fully balanced system with a robust design that is not influenced by external vibration. This means density and general flow conditions can deviate from the reference conditions, and the flowmeter will retain specified accuracy. The system is also resilient to temperature shocks; accuracy maintains 0.1 percent even during cleaning periods.
The Promass I design is also the first commercial Coriolis mass flowmeter using two simultaneously driven resonance frequencies. The dual-mode system can actually pick up separate tube vibrations for the mass flow frequency (600 – 700 Hz) and a different frequency for the viscosity frequency (about 900 Hz), and then filter them and analyze them separately in the electronics.
what the voters said:
• It is one of the most beautiful technologies – picking signals (parameters) from two different frequency bands from a single instrument…WOW!!!
• I think the single-tube design and ability to do inline viscosity measurement with the Endress+Hauser Promass I is truly unique and reduces overall instrumentation and testing costs.
• Really useful for products with very high viscosity. Due to its straight single-tube technology, it avoids pressure losses, improving the optimization of pumping energy.
• Having mass, density, temp, viscosity in the same element. This is helpfully in heater inlets to measure viscosity of the heavy oil, providing more control and quality in the combustion.
Sentinel Liquid Custody Transfer (LCT) Ultrasonic Flowmeter
By GE Sensing & Inspection Technologies
GE Sensing & Inspection Technologies’ Sentinel LCT is a highly accurate ultrasonic flowmeter designed for custody-transfer measurement of crude oil and refined oil products. The Sentinel LCT, with its “install and forget” reliability, is designed to make custody-transfer measurement easier than traditional technologies, requiring less human intervention for maintenance and offering less room for operator error.
Sentinel LCT has a number of unique features that make the meter completely independent of viscosity changes. Whether measuring gasoline or crudes of varying viscosities, the flow measurement is not affected by viscosity or temperature changes. This not only saves time, but also the expense of a proving run. Sentinel LCT uses advanced diagnostics to perform continuous self-checks. A built-in flow computer allows for pressure, temperature and density corrections according to API 11.1.
Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) testing of flow scenarios ranged from laminar flows typical of very heavy crudes to highly turbulent flows seen in gasoline and LPG applications. CFD simulations provided the optimal path configuration called the Robust Path Configuration (patent pending) that was proved in a calibration loop, and the results are now filed as a GE patent. Sentinel LCT meets 0.15 percent accuracy with an absolute minimum sensitivity to changing process fluid viscosities.
what the voters said:
• The reason I”m voting for the LCT ultrasonic flowmeter is because I’ve found them to provide very reliable and accurate flow measurement for custody transfer.
• Flow readings not affected by varying viscosities is a very much-needed solution where product changes are unknown and frequent, batch processes, etc.
• It is independent of viscosity changes when most of the ultrasonic meters are dependent on viscosity.
• I appreciate its accuracy of 0.15 percent with viscosity independence.
• Its buffer transducer design, which is retractable for service, makes it outstanding as compared to other brands.
• Temperature and viscosity independence, eliminating the need to add a proving run.
• The refining and petrochemical industry has significant maintenance and lost productivity due to unreliable PD meters. Having a true multi-viscosity ultrasonic meter is a breakthrough the industry will benefit from considerably.
• An excellent product by its various features, such as accuracy, suitability for all kind of liquid applications, including varying viscosities, and it does not require regular maintenance like other conventional meters. This is the ultimate choice for Liquid Custody Transfer applications.
Grundfos Multi-Stage CR-H Pump
By Grundfos Pumps Corp.
Grundfos’s CR-H horizontal multi-stage in-line pump provides an ANSI dimensional solution that will fit into an existing pump and piping footprint. The CR-H pump offers optimized duty points to maximize pump efficiency and minimize internal wear, which lowers energy costs, increases pump life, and reduces maintenance.
A high-efficiency, multi-stage design provides pressure ranges that can be expanded beyond ANSI pump limitations without piping changes. The one-piece cartridge shaft seal offers a simple replacement of the cartridge seal and provides seal access without pump removal or disassembly right on the spot in less than an hour. Compared to traditional ANSI pump seal replacement requiring pump disassembly and realignment, and a minimum of eight hours to complete. CR-H retrofit requires no re-piping and can bolt onto the existing baseplate.
what the voters said:
• The Grundfos multi-stage pump with the ANSI footprint can be a real problem solver and energy saver.
• I like being able to replace old ANSI model pumps with something much more efficient without having to change the piping. Replacement time should be at a minimum, greatly decreasing downtime.
• Good adaptation of technology. Nice to see high efficiencies in the ANSI market.
• Does not require any piping changes and gives much greater efficiency than existing ANSI pumps.
• Saving energy is the key. I”d love to see how quick the pumps paid for themselves compared to the energy costs of the ANSI-style pumps. Don”t forget about the maintenance cost savings!
• Green energy product. Extreme power (HP) reduction will help to improve our climate change.
• Multi-stage, in-line pumps are very energy efficient which is very important in today”s world and economy. Saving energy saves money and time and can really have a positive impact on a company”s costs.
454FTB CSA Mass Flow Instrument
By Kurz Instruments Inc
Kurz Instruments’ 454FTB Mass Flow Instrument steps away from a system based on the limiting physical bridge operation to provide a significant improvement in the Wheatstone bridge concept. Digital functions make for a fast, repeatable and flexible thermal dispersion instrument.
Outstanding features include:
• Patented virtual-digital Wheatstone bridge technology (US Patent #7,418,878)
• All possible sensor wiring and element faults are monitored and reported
• Zero-mid-span CEMS compliant
• Temperature range to 500 C
• Nonfouling in most dirty environments
With the addition of extensive built-in diagnostics and data record keeping, the B Series instrumentation includes:
• All sensor, wiring, and electronic circuitry monitored for faults with reporting to display, NE-43 alarms, Modbus and error log
• Min/max event logs recording the 20 highest and 20 lowest flowrates experienced; the 20 highest and 20 lowest process temperatures experienced; and the 20 highest and 20 lowest temperatures to which the electronics have been subjected
• Two-plus days of 10 second trend memory to allow review of flow events leading up to upsets/events; and powerful internal watchdog and self-test circuitry.
what the voters said:
• Kurz is one of the few options for 500 C gases, and the new data logging expedites any troubleshooting issues.
• High accuracy, turndown and ease of use.
• Lower maintenance and costs with better accuracy versus Pitot tubes with DP transmitters. Very innovative.
• A stable mass flow instrument.
• We use the Kurz 454FTB series flowmeters and find them to be extremely reliable with minimal maintenance issues. Support from the company has been superb, and we look forward to our continued relationship with them.
• Kurz is so incredibly easy to use.
Polyfeeder Emulsion Polymer Blending System
By Pulsafeeder Inc
Pulsafeeder’s Polyfeeder emulsion polymer blending system was specifically developed to handle the diverse mixing requirements of complex emulsion polymers. The Polyfeeder comes equipped with a clear, high-energy mixing chamber followed by a diminishing energy-blending cascade, which thoroughly hydrates the molecules without damaging the extending polymer chains. This mixing chamber is clear, allowing quick and easy monitoring of the blending operation.
What truly differentiates the Polyfeeder from other polymer skid systems is its innovative anti-siphon, anti-clog polymer injection lance. This lance effectively separates the polymer from the water interface; the water flow helping to close the valve instead of forcing it open, all the while still being a membrane that can accommodate the occasional solid. This new technology replaces the standard ball and spring checks and eliminates the common pain point of clogging and stuck valves. The system comes pre-assembled on a rugged stainless steel frame and is available with a choice of solenoid, gear and progressive-cavity neat polymer feed pump.
what the voters said:
• This solution takes into consideration the entire process. Many of this year’s nominees are only capable of one task; the Polyfeeder is a complete solution.
• This system can eliminate the problems of clogging and stuck valves.
• It truly differentiates from other polymer skid systems with its innovative anti-siphon, anti-clog polymer injection lance.
• The polyfeeder simplifies the feeding of emulsion polymers with high efficiency.
• Precision control at an affordable price
• Low maintenance and easy control in a polymer blending skid.
• I like the Polyfeeder because it is anti-siphon and anti-clogging.
• It comes pre-assembled with a choice of three pump types and it is a non-clog polymer injection valve.
CVA – Control Valve Actuator
By Rotork Controls Inc
Rotork Controls’ electric, non-intrusive CVA control-valve actuators provide a major technological advance in precise operation, HMI capabilities, and fail-to-position protection.
The actuators are available in linear and quarter-turn actions and are suitable for a range of control-valve applications throughout the plant. The new actuators eliminate the need for costly air supplies and are easily integrated into most process control environments, including those that use HART and Foundation Fieldbus, as well as other digital communication protocols.
The actuators provide precise control-valve operation with repeatability and resolution performance at <0.1 percent of full scale. In addition, they include, as a standard feature, wireless Bluetooth communication technology that can be used for quick-and-easy actuator setup and adjustment.
Precise actuator performance is achieved by using “dual sensor technology.” This patented control technology has non-contacting 12-bit encoders used for sensing motor speed as well as the exact output position of the actuator. The dual sensors, coupled with a high-speed processor and proprietary control algorithms, deliver extremely high performance.
what the voters said:
• Rotork electrical regulatory control actuator adds a new dimension to control valves, which for ages have been generally pneumatically operated.
• The Rotork CVA is a potential game changer in the MOV market. Who would have thought you could get air-operated performance out of a MOV.
Smart-Trak 2 with Compod Mass Flowmeter
By Sierra Instruments
Sierra Instruments’ Smart -Trak 2 is the next generation of the company’s flagship Model 100 line of mass flowmeters and controllers. The Smart-Trak 2 provides a linear sensor, smoother control valve operation, more robust electronics and more control over a wide range of functions. The Smart-Trak 2, coupled with Sierra’s new Compod monitoring software, offers end-users an intelligent flow controller, greatly simplifying basic flow control installations and permitting networking of multiple instruments using open-source MODBUS RTU protocol. A Smart-Trak with Compod is designed to replace more expensive DCS or PLC systems, allowing end-users to automate a variety of processes. Two digital outputs and one analog input can be configured by the end-user, while the Compod monitors the functionality of the MFM and/or MFC and provides diagnostics, notifying users of faults or system upsets.
what the voters said:
• We do gas mixing and have automated our entire process with this product, saving big $$$$. We are big fans and own over 20 Smart-Trak 2 with Compod.
• Great accuracy with excellent communication alternatives.
• MODBUS multi-drop capability, totalizer alarm system, and relay module are innovative.
• New features have improved an already great product. The ability to adjust the factory calibration in the field for any of the Smart-Trak 2”s 10 dial-a-gas gases provides the user with a previously unseen level of independence and flexibility in gas mass flow control.
• This product is very helpful for end-users to control gas flow and detect leaks.
• The fact that it combines the functions of a separate PLC into one flowmeter device means that it is one step ahead in terms of technology.
• Such a complete device. A lot of features.
• Smart-Trak 2 with Compod Mass Flowmeter uses open source code – not proprietary software – while also simplifying installation and enabling the customer to network multiple instruments.
BT6-B Thermostatic Steam Trap
By Spirax Sarco Inc
Spirax Sarco’s BT6-B Stainless Steel Thermostatic Steam Trap is designed for clean steam applications in the manufacturing of pharmaceuticals, biopharmaceuticals, food & beverage, and related sanitary/hygienic environments. The steam trap meets and exceeds the capacity and sensitivity specifications of its predecessor, the Model BT6, and is suitable for CIP/SIP systems requiring large cold condensate discharge capacities at low pressures typically encountered at the start of sterilizing cycles.
The BT6-B’s redesigned seat provides high-capacity flow and positive draining for minimal condensate backup across the entire load range. This provides improved SIP operations on bioreactors and fermenters, with tighter temperature control and reduced cycle time, plus improved performance in mains drainage applications. BT6-B performance helps reduce rouging and system corrosion and extends the life of diaphragm valves and seals.
The steam trap’s foolproof reassembly after cleaning eliminates the risk of trap failure resulting from reassembly error, and the safety clamp prevents accidental disassembly. Construction is 100 percent 316L, including bodies, internals and related systems. The internal surface finish is 25 micro-inch Ra (0.6 µm), and 40 micro-inch Ra (1 µm) for external surfaces.
what the voters said:
• I”ve used the new Spirax Sarco steam trap, and it has much greater capacity than the older model, and it discharges at near-to-saturated-steam temperature. Much better condensate drainage from HX vessels, sterilizers, autoclaves etc.
• Best temperature control and reduced cycle time.
• The BT6-B works superbly on sterilizer cycles.
Rovalve PCS17 Resilient Seated Knife Gate Valve
By Tyco Flow Control
Tyco Flow Control’s Rovalve PCS17 resilient, seated knife gate valve is designed to support water, pulp and paper, food and beverage, mining and power applications that require positive isolation of media. While there are many styles of resilient seated knife gates, the PCS17 knife gate valve includes an innovative perimeter cartridge seat, providing a combination of features found in few other knife gate valves. The perimeter cartridge seat of the PCS17 provides simplified seat replacement and reduced packing maintenance. It is a good fit for applications where positive shutoff against liquids, light solids and slurries is required.
With its precision-molded perimeter cartridge seat, the Rovalve PCS17 makes knife gate valve repair a cost-effective choice. Most resilient seated knife gates require the valve to be completely removed from the line to replace the seat. Some resilient seats are custom-fit and may require minor adjustments or shims to gain proper sealing. Failing to get the fit right can cause premature seat life wear and seal failure. With the Rovalve PCS17, the entire cartridge seat is easily replaced; simply pull the one-piece seat out through the packing box and replace it the same way.
what the voters said:
• The more difficult the application typically means the harder it is to design products that would allow for in-line serviceability. This feature is excellent in helping reduce production downtime that is ever so important in this demanding industrial market.
• Assembly allows service to be completed in-line.
• Its precision-molded perimeter cartridge seat makes knife gate valve repair a cost-effective choice.
• Metal-reinforced cartridge seat makes it ideal for even the most difficult applications
• The perimeter cartridge seat of the PCS17 provides simplified seat replacement and reduced packing maintenance.
• I like the way you don”t have to take it off line to change the seat out.
• In-line repair is excellent for aggressive media requiring frequent seat replacement
• Ease of maintenance (quick-change, cartridge-type seat), less time consuming, less labor cost, and less downtime to repair.
• A great alternative in the food and beverage industry on tough applications.
• The “perimeter” cartridge resilient seat eliminates leakage normally associated with the knife gate valve design. It reinforces the stability of the seat and allows the seat to withstand higher velocities and turbulence than a nonreinforced seat.
• Finally, a knife gate valve that is easily in-line repairable/serviceable with metal-reinforced cartridge seats that are injection molded so tolerances can be much more precise/tighter, giving us a highly reliable knife gate valve with positive shutoff, which will work in current knife gate applications as well as in more difficult applications where knife gates could not be used before. And they can do this with one valve for all applications. Truly outstanding and innovative.